Can Spirituality be an Escape

Mainly DEDICATED to Ex-BKs.
A neutral forum for congenial discussions and reservations related to the Godly Knowledge between ALL parties.
paulkershaw
ex-BK
Affinity to the BKWSU: ex-BKWSU
Please give a short description of your interest in joining this forum.: I am an ex-teacher and member of the BKWSU and my interest lies in assisting those who request support on any level I can.

Can Spirituality be an Escape

Post by paulkershaw »

This article written by one Linda Stewart and posted on a local web-site this morning has got me wondering about how we often escape life by taking on a spiritual role or experience: How many others on this forum joined the BKWSO because they couldn’t handle their emotional and mental lives and then left once they had found their way? How many people are still stuck inside a particular cult or ‘spiritual’ path because they still can’t deal with the outside world? How many people are addicted to the ‘spiritual way’ using it as an unconscious method of blocking their own brilliance yet thinking and feeling that they have achieved the ultimate and most intimate connection?

I've known many people who've used spirituality and meditation as a way of avoiding dealing with their issues. Since they feel good when they're pursuing a spiritual path, guru, or new technique, they think that will make all the uncomfortable stuff dissolve and go away. Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way. Spirituality is no more a magic bullet than anything else.See *

Anything that allows us to feel bliss and euphoria, whether it's drugs, lust, romantic love, alcohol, achievement, spirituality or meditation, can become addictive.”

Read the full article here before commenting please: "Can Spirituality Be An Escape?".

* Maybe this is for another thread but for me the irony is a bit similar to me seeing someone selling this new-aged water last week in a market stall, the water is advertised as life-giving and transformative in all health matters, but the person marketing the products was really old person, a chain smoker, coughing and reeking of nicotine and barely able to carry the bottles of water advertised, but i must state that I never saw this person before they started drinking the water ... (!) Surely if one is offering a new-age/spiritual process, one must carry the can accordingly in order to prove its effectiveness.